Thursday, June 25, 2009

Music, Music, Music

I have discovered that I would rather sing, play the piano, or play the guitar than do anything else. I have some of the most spiritual moments when I am at the piano singing and playing. I have some of the funnest moments when I am singing with my group "One Voice." I have some of the most frustrating moments when I am playing my guitar, but then some of the most satisfying moments when I can actually make the chords my teacher wants me to. (I have also discovered that old fingers cannot move in ways that young fingers can.) Performing is a kick and I think I am hooked on it, although in certain situations I must admit I am almost paralyzed with fear and my throat tightens up.

I credit my parents with this love of music I possess. Some of my earliest memories involve music--either my father singing to me at night as I went to sleep (Mona Lisa my favorite), waking up on Saturday mornings to the smell of breakfast and the sound of Porgy and Bess on the record player, sitting at the piano with my mother as she played and sang to me, listening to Dave Brubeck, the Kingston Trio, the Grand Canyon Suite, Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass on the record player (to name a few).

Life is better with music. One of my favorite quotes from the scriptures (it's over my piano): Praise the Lord with singing, with music and with a prayer of thanksgiving.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not going to lie, I miss hearing you play when I'm taking a nap. Now I just hear my dumb roommate and her grossly overweight boyfriend tickle fighting. Love you mom!

    ReplyDelete