Friday, January 30, 2009

Life is Fragile - Handle with Care


I attended the funeral last weekend of a 13-year-old classmate of Carson and Walker's--Woody Brinkerhoff. He wasn't actually supposed to have lived past the age of 4 or 5, so each day was a blessing to his family. My every thought this week has been of his mother, father and 8-year-old sister. Do they have any regrets? Will they have to think back and wish they hadn't said this or that to Woody? What would they have done differently? How will they live their lives now to be with him later? How will they go on? It is a long, hard process filled with loving memories, tears, guilt, and prayers.

I was a young mother (24) when my son Justin died. I never thought I would make it through 1 day. But here I am at 53 and it has been 29 years. I still have those thoughts of "I wish I hadn't of spanked him" and "I wish I would have hugged him more." We all need these kind of reminders (a funeral perhaps) to appreciate life with our families and loved ones and renew our desires and commitments to live better lives and to treat each other with more love and kindness. I have looked at my children and my husband differently this week. When they go out the door in the morning, I want them to know they are loved. Life is too precious to waste it. God has given us this life to prepare - so let us love like crazy.


3 comments:

  1. I don't remember this picture of Justin. Sometimes I wonder what kind of a brother he'd have been to me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the day that Justin died. Dad and I were at Youth Conference and I remember Dad went home and I had to stay and it was so hard to concentrate. I have often wondered what kind of a boy he would have been and what personality traits he would have had in your family and if he would have changed your family dynamics. What a wonderful child!!!! By the way it doesn't look like you need any help with your blog. You and Lana both are such good bloggers - definitely much better at it then I am. Good Job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom... the blog looks great. You're a good blog designer :) Love you.

    ReplyDelete